Pages

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Crochet Sampler Winter Headband

With the nasty cold weather slowly abating I figured I would use the temporary warm weather to make some things for the next cold snap.  I know there will be one, I have no idea when but I have no doubt that it will happen.  When it does I want to be prepared with a new variety of warm things.  Today, that project is a nice, warm headband.  I have massive problems with ears getting cold and since my first attempt at an ear warming headband worked so well I decided to try making more.

As I often do, I took a peek online to see what kinds of headbands already exist and I met the usual problem.  Boring!  So very boring!  I swear, headbands are as bad as scarves.  They're all just glorified rectangles.  Admittedly, some headbands had little flowery things that you could make and put on them but that doesn't change the headband from being a rectangle with its ends sewn together.

People are always amazed at how fast I crochet. There is a reason for the speed.  In my house you have to be fast or you get 'help' with the yarn.

This is attempt number one on my quest to make headbands more interesting.  I quite like how it turned out.  It's like a crochet sampler.  There is a little bit of everything in the construction; color work, rounds, single and double crochet, chains, clusters...I even almost put in a join as you go section but thought that might be a bit much. In my usual style there is very little sewing involved and it only took a little over an hour to make the headband, counting the design process, so you can turn them out pretty quickly if you need to.

  
 Crochet Sampler Winter Headband




Materials:

2 colors of Vanna's Choice, about 50 yards total.
I-hook

Gauge- 5 sc in 1 1/2 inches, 4 rows is just over 1 inch.


Ear Disks, make 2.  They should be 3 inches in diameter

With color A chain 1
Round 1:  5 sc in chain 1, join and turn. (5sts)
Round 2:  Ch 1, 2 sc in each stitch around. Join and turn. (10 sts)
Round 3:  Ch 1, (1 sc, 2 sc in next st) around.  Break off color A, join with color B, and turn. (15sts)
Round 4:  Ch 1, (sc 2, 2 sc in next st) around.  Break off color B, join with color A, and turn. (20 sts)
Round 5:  Ch 1, (sc 3, 2 sc in next st) around.  Join and turn. (25 sts)
Round 6:  Ch 1, (sc 4, 2 sc in next st) around.  Join and turn. (30 sts)
Break off


Upper Band, work once on each ear disk

Join color B to the edge of the disk.
Row 1:  Chain 2, 2 dc in the joining stitch, ch 1, 3 dc in the same stitch.  Skip 3 sts, (3dc, ch1, 3dc) in the next stitch.  Turn (2 clusters)
Row 2-6:  Sl st over to the chain 1, (ch 2, 2 dc, ch 1, 3 dc).  In the next ch 1 space (3 dc, ch 1, 3 dc).



Joining Halves
Attach color A to a disk 1 st away from the color B cluster. Ch2, sl st in the point of the first cluster.  Continue with ch 2, sl st along the whole edge until you reach the last sl st.  Then sl st in the first cluster point on the second piece and resume the ch 2, sl st pattern making the final sl st on the other ear disk 1 st away from the the color B cluster.

Ch 1 and sc over each stitch back to the other ear disk and break off.  Repeat for the other side.



Back Band, work on each ear disk.

Count 10 stitches from the edging join and join color B.
Working toward the other edging join, ch 1 (counts as sc)  and work 4 sc.  Turn.
Work 10 more rows in even sc over 5 sts and break off.

Sew the back band ends together using the yarn tails from the break off.  Again, using the yarn tails from the break off, sew the ends of the upper bands together leaving a gap in the center.  Weave in ends.









No comments:

Post a Comment