Before I get to that, though, I have something else to show.
See? I really have been crocheting. The pattern is coming along slowly but it is being made. You'l have to be a little patient with this one. The end product is going to be quite large and so is going to take a while to get it finished. But, I wanted to let everyone know that I haven't forgotten about the whole patterns thing, I promise. Right, back to the props.
A few weeks ago I had purchased a small clock to take the works out of for another prop but I had saved the clock case. Good thing, too. It turns out it was absolutely perfect for what I needed.
A bit of high gloss black spray paint and a red LED later and voila! Something that looks like a blend of HAL-9000 and GLaDOS (the computer/villain from Portal, for all you non-nerds).
There was something in the look of it that wasn't quite right so I hit the white case with some silver. That didn't do it, either. It was too shiny. Since I had some stainless steel spray paint (I really do love Krylon, they have a paint for everything it seems) I put a layer of that over the silver. Much improved. Then I got some glass frosting spray paint (Krylon again. I really did mean it when I said they had a paint for everything) and used that on the clear plastic cover.
|This will be closer to how the prop will actually be displayed. |
I plan to hang it from the wall with a command hook.
Since I keep alluding to the inner bits of the clock I figured I should show you what what I did with the works. Yay, double prop post!
That's my $1 find of epic amzingness, if you missed that post. I found it at a garage sale a while back and all I had to do was put works in it. I had a devil of a time finding works with hands small enough for the clock face. The only ones small enough that I could find are the ones I used, that's why the hands are silver. It was the only color option and I didn't want to chance the hands sticking or scraping if I painted them. You're probably wondering why I had to disarm the alarm clock if all I did was use the works. Well, that's not quite all I did. You can't see it from the picture, because pictures are stills and I'm far to lazy to make a video, but that clock is currently running backward. I found an instructable that shows how to make a clock run counter-clockwise. You can find it here. It's really very easy. I've successfully made 3 clocks that go backward without breaking any of them in the process. Even the clock I eventually broke ran backward with no trouble before I took out the wrong bit and killed it. Of course, now I can't see a quartz clock and not want to take it apart and make it go the wrong way. (-: It's good fun.