Pages

Sunday, October 23, 2011

Vampire Bite Choker

As I was crafting my Blood Scarf I noticed that it didn't look quite as impressive as I would have liked.  It also gave me an idea for a garland, make of that what you will.  There will probably be a pattern for it at some point, but I don't think I'll be able to meet the 'pre-Halloween' deadline, so maybe next year.  This pattern is a little more subtle.

I'm sure everyone is now well versed in how much I hate sewing knitted or crocheted things together.  If you missed that somehow, I absolutely loathe piecework.  I also hate sewing things on to crocheted or knitted things.  This presents something of an issue with buttons and zippers.  I have two sweaters which I have had the zippers for since July and I still haven't installed them.  I don't think it will be hard to do, I've never installed a zip into a sweater before, I just do not relish doing that much sewing and so keep putting it off.  Buttons annoy me only slightly less.  I don't like having little thread knots on my things, but with buttons you have no choice.  Well, most of the time.  My hatred of sewing buttons led to a rather interesting development.  I discovered that I could use a popcorn stitch like a button a few years back.  Ever since then I've used that method whenever possible instead of having to sew a button on.  Mostly on my own little designs, it's more challenging to adapt the popcorn button to other patterns and I'm awfully lazy.  That's why I like the popcorn button.  No knots, no sewing, and the button can't fall off since it's part of the piece.    

This is also my first attempt at sizing things, so please bear with me.  I have no idea how big a 'medium' or 'large' neck is, and mine is tiny so that isn't much help.  Happily, this pattern is super simple so I've come up with a method that I think will work for everyone.  


Vampire Bite Choker

Caron Simply Soft in red and black.  You don't need much, less than 1/4 ounce of each

G hook

Gauge
5 dc = 1 inch (2.5 cm)

Finished Measurement
Small: 13 inches (33cm)
Medium: 14 inches (35.5 cm)
Large: 15 inches (38 cm)

The choker fits neck neck sizes 1 inch (2.5cm) smaller than the finished item.

Ch7
Row 1: Dc in 3rd ch from hook. Ch1, dc in the remaining 2 chs.  Ch2, counts as first dc, turn.
Row 2: Dc across including in the ch 1 sp (5 dc total) Ch2, turn.
Repeat row 2 until choker band measures 12, 13, 14 inches (30.5, 33, 35.5 cm)* then work the bobble button as follows.


1 dc, 8 dc in next st, 2 dc, ch 2 turn.
Work row 2 once.

Break off, weave in ends. 

*Note: If you need a larger neckband work row 2 until the ends of the choker touch, but don't overlap, when put around your neck.  Then work the bobble button


Blood drop pattern:
Ch 3.  In first chain work 6 dc , 1tc, 1dtc.  Then work one ddtc in the top of the chain 3.  Work fsc as directed. (Further instruction can be found in my Blood Scarf pattern)

Make 2 blood drops.  One with a 9 st fsc tail and one with a 6 fsc tail




Try on the choker band for blood drop placement, you can mark where you want them to go with removable stitch markers.  I recommend you place the shorter drop in the higher position for maximum contrast. and sew the drops on from the wrong side of the choker.  Use the tail on the drop and watch where it goes through the choker, that's what gives you the bite mark. 



Enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. We love it! We tried knitting one and it's not nearly as nice as your's though. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete